Done and it's Perfect.......Oh wait a second?!?

Today is my dad's birthday and our entire family piled into my moms three bedroom bungalow to have dinner and Birthday Cake. It's a little squished and so we were all happy that it was a lovely day outside. Some family members could congregate on the deck, after a while all the teenagers end up leaving to go for a walk and the little kids just want to play outside in the centre of the circle. Once everyone disperses into thier own little groups the living room again has enough seats for the adults with only a couple of exceptions left sitting on the floor. But no one on the floor is complaining because Mom & Dad have a new puppy and he is so tiny the people on the floor get first dibs on playing with him.

Anyways, it was my job (of course) to bring the cake. My dad loves anything lemon so I made a lemon cake and lemon icing to cover it. It tasted really good and my dad loved it. Job well done...well almost.

I don't have a picture, I get so mad at myself when I forget my camera but I do it very often. Just let me explain as best as I can and hopefully you can visualize it. I made a semi circle cake, turned it on it's side to make it look like a hill and then put a road going over the hill. I stuck one of Ryan's cars on the road (which he wasn't impressed about sharing) then I lined the road with Hydro poles and strung them together with wire. Each hydro pole was made by placing a black straw in the cake (thank you cheesecake factory for black straws) and then embellishing it with transformers made out of black icing.  Each pole was hollow, perfect for a sparkler to slip into.

My dad is a retired Master Electrician and my mom thought it would be fun to make his cake like the transformer blew and sparks were flying everywhere. So that's the look I was after and it turned out really good...or so I thought.

Everyone crammed into the kitchen we lit the sparklers and sang happy birthday as loud as we could. My dad smiled from ear to ear until the sparks from the sparklers kept landing on the tablecloth and the smoke from the sparklers set the fire alarm off  (now of course I bought the biggest sparklers I could find so it seemed to go on forever). Someone was smacking out the sparks on the table while another waved a tea towel in the hallway to stop the alarm. The youngest family member is only 10 months old and she certainly didn't like the commotion so started crying and that sent the puppy into a little yapping spell and just when it seemed like it could't possibly get any louder or chaotic in the house the sparks died down and it was over.

And my dad had a Happy Birthay! No that is not a typo. Well actually it is a typo but it was a piped black icing typo on a green hill cake that almost set the tiny house filled with a million people on fire all on a lovely sunday afternoon in April.

 I should probably note that when I was making the cake and after I finished piping the greeting on the cake I stood back and thought to myself. "Oh, that looks good, everything is lined up and it is perfectly centered on the cake" then Emma says, "Mom, is that how you spell birthday?"

Another good idea gone wrong! Oh well,  this experience reminded me of a great blog that I found over a year ago. It's called "Cake Wrecks - When Professional Cakes go Horribly, Hilariously Wrong" just go to cakewrecks.blogspot.com if you want a good laugh. If I need to be cheered up or just have a chuckle I will visit this blog. I am guaranteed to be laughing before long. Sometimes you have to read the greeting written on the cake a couple of times before you get it but once you realize the mistake, you will be laughing your head off. This is a recent one that I found really funny "Happy Birthday Justin, Big Tip if it gets there before Noon". Obviously the "Big Tip" portion of the greeting was just information about the delivery and probably should have never landed on the top of that cake. I seriously doubt there was a tip at all when that cake arrived!

If you want another laugh read on.

I already warned you that Ryan was not happy about sharing his little car with Grampa even if it was only for a short time. I have another warning before you continue reading....Ryan thinks that "square words" as he calls them are hilarious! Now at our house swear words include words like stupid, dummy, ugly and any thing to do with bathroom humour. When we arrived at my parents home this evening. Ryan is always the first to the door, because it is his job to push the elevator button (door bell, his other grandparents live in an apartment) As my dad opened the door, Ryan begins his rant. And all I can say is thank heaven my dad doesn't catch half of what he says on most occasions. I only really caught the last of his tirade as I was bringing up the rear and carrying the cake. However, this is what I caught.

Gwampa, I need my car back and you are not keeping it. My mom didn't ask is she could use it for your fart fart cake and I am not very happy bout it. When we are done eating your big poo poo cake you have to give it back and I will take it home. (ryan looks back a sees me coming) Here comes mommy with your big dumb, stupid fart fart poo poo pee cake. (ryan bursts into laughter and adds) Oh, Gwampa, Happy Birthday.

Bewildered I looked at Rich and ask, "where did all that come from?" Rich looks back at me very innocently  and says I don't know, I just told him to go say "Happy Birthday Grampa, you old fart!"

Honestly! I feel like beating my head against the wall sometimes.

No comments: