Do you feel fatter just reading my blog?...I Do!

I think that everyone of my facebook friends have taken up running this spring. My entire newsfeed is littered with where, when and how fast my friends are running. Now don't get me wrong, I think that is wonderful but the more I read their posts and the more I read my posts the fatter and even fatter I feel. So today I did something about it. No I did not go out for a run! I live in the middle of nowhere. It would be a long time before anyone found me passed out at the side of the road and I live in Canada, even though it is spring just think about it. Passed out on the side of a country road in a ditch filled with ice cold ditch water and maybe even snow if it is a shaded spot. I could die of exposure!! No not this girl, running is far too dangerous where I live. 

 Instead, I went to my trusty recipe box and found a great recipe for fat free cake and in honor of my friends who are timing their runs I thought I would time my bake!


10:00 Put the baby down for a nap, preheat oven to 350 degrees F
10:05 Plug in the "Plug in my Secret Love" Kitchenaid Mixer, fit the bowl and attach the paddle
10:06 Dump in the Box of Angel Food Cake Mix - uh oh, baby is still crying
10:07 Dump in 19 oz can of crushed pineapple, turn on mixer to stir, go check baby. Soother back in mouth, kiss hug return to kitchen
10:08 Grease only the bottom of the Tube Pan, listen for baby, all is well, turn off mixer and pour batter into prepared pan.
10:09 Cake pan goes into the oven, sneak down the hall, listen for baby - crying again, let him cry for a few minutes
10:10 Wash the bowl and paddle, reattach bowl and this time the whisk to the mixer, pour the pint of whipping cream into the bowl (I only claimed the cake was fat free), set it to 10 and let it fly for about 5 minutes. This works really well to drown out the sound of the crying baby.


10:15 Whipcream is ready, cake is baking, baby is whaling! Put the whip cream in the fridge and go get the baby. Make sure he has soother, rock him in the rocking chair, sing a little song, ward off any toddlers who will thwart my plan of getting him back to sleep, put him back in bed, close the door and return to the kitchen. 
10:30 Get snacks for Emma and Ryan, listen for baby - all is quiet.
10:35 Go out onto the back deck and blow bubbles with Emma and Ryan, Oven Timer goes off.
10:36 Take cake out of the oven let sit a couple of minutes.
10:38 Invert the cake and cake pan onto a bottle and let hang upside down until cool.
10:40 A little more bubble blowing, some pinecone collecting, a Wii tournament, a couple of cartoons and..
11:38 Remove cooled cake from Pan onto plate. Listen for baby - still quiet.
11:40 Cover cake with whipped cream (now if you want to keep this a completely fat free cake use 
a fat free dessert topping instead) 
(You can also sprinkle this cake with coconut if you don't have a nut allergy in your home like we do)
11:45 Cake is done..... Baby is crying! Perfect timing. 


I did that cake start to finish in the same time that it took one 18 month old baby to have a nap!! I don't even think I need to improve on that time. Best part of this little marathon is that I am invigorated from the experience but not exhausted and to celebrate we will have cake with our lunch!!

You will notice some differences from the original hand written recipe to what I did. My oven cooks hotter, so less cook time, the recipe also says to mix by hand but like I said before, I can turn my mixer on and walk away. That works out very well for me.

For those of you who are wondering who the baby is, his name is Jacob, he lives across the street from me, and he hangs out at my house 4 days a week while his parents are working.

No comments: