Happy Birthday to Me - and all you other April babies!

My daughter, Emma knows that my birthday in April begins the string of family birthdays that lead to hers in June. Being the first day of April today she came to me with the first of a what will be a very long list of Birthday Criteria for her own birthday in June. But before we go into that, let me tell you a little about what she did last year for her birthday.

It was a wild west party in our backyard. We invited her entire Kindergarten class, before you gasp at that thought, I should tell you there were only 12 kids in her class. We then added a cousin and a couple of other close friends. We turned our playhouse into the Ponderosa. Rich burned the name "Ponderosa" into an old plank and nailed it to the front of the playset, he added saloon doors to the clubhouse. We put gold rocks in the sandbox and gave them sifting buckets, we had a donkey pinata and the best of all, We turned our corral into a riding ring. Now I know, that some of you are thinking, "Right, a corral, in your backyard" but we do have a corral. It's empty the other 364 days of the year but we have one. The kids all got to ride my neighbors pony and pet him and give him a carrot. His name is Cowboy - perfect for our party! They had races with broomstick ponies and loot bags filled with "Sassafrass Candy" whatever that is. Some M&M's, some old fashioned taffy and those candy sticks that you can buy at old fashioned candy shops (or the bulk barn) The kids liked the name of it. Then to top it off, the birthday cake. I should tell you that there were no sparklers this time. I learned my lesson at the previous birthday party. (check Birthday Extravaganza Post)



I think I'm nuts. Honestly how many 5 year olds get a 4 tier cake!

So now that you know all that, I can tell you the first of the Emma's Birthday wish list. She would like a
Rock Star Cake, it should be 6 layers, one for each year. There has to be some black on it. One layer should be purple for sure. If I could add sparkles to the fondant that would be good but if I can't she guesses that will be okay too.  The top layer should have a microphone on it, and there should be a guitar somewhere on it. Maybe some lights should shine on it. And then I interject with "Should I have it play some cool version of Happy Birthday when we cut into it?" Emma's response with wide eyes - "You can do that?" My response, "Well...........maybe............I'll talk to your Dad"

So Emma has her request in. And thank goodness she has given me so much notice!! My mom has the request for my dad's cake in, my brother has the request for his daughter's cake in. Any other requests while I'm at it?

All of these cakes and I am starting to wonder, what should I do for my own birthday cake?
I know the perfect cake - DQ Ice Cream Cake. I love cake but I love ice cream way more and
 I just might keep it all for myself. Yum!!
Happy Birthday to me!

If you don't here from me again after April 8th you know I had my cake, I ate it too and now
I have quietly slipped into a diabetic coma!

No comments: