Two Cakes, Two Parties, Two Different Cities, Same Afternoon.

Quite a while ago a friend asked me to do a baby shower cake for her daughter at the end of March.  A couple of weeks later I had a request to do a Birthday Cake also for the end of March. Then a week after that I realized that the end of March meant the same day (Today) for both cakes, in two different cities. Luckily for me the lady that ordered the latter cake was willing to drive to the location of the baby shower to pick it up. Now I just needed to get all the cakes, my gift and the kids in the car and to that location in one piece. I found great boxes for all of my cakes this time. I packed the cakes in the boxes and then packed the boxes all up in the car. (Ahead of schedule I might add) Nice and safe! Everything had a place and as long as nothing slid as I made the 30 minute car ride to our destination I would be in good shape. For extra insurance I grabbed as many bath towels as I could find and tucked them in between the boxes.

Next, kids. They are never quite as easy to pack in the car neatly! One needs a blanket to keep warm the other has to take off his shoes because he is too hot. (Honestly, too hot!? The thermometre in the car says the outside temperature is -3 today), there needs to be drinks and snacks within reach but not on thier laps so they can spill everywhere. My seat has to be just far enough forward to be out of reach that I don't get kicked in the back during the entire trip but close enough to the back that if something drops I can very skillfully reach to the back seat pick it up hand it to the oldest one to hand back to the one that dropped it and is now screaming in my ear for it.

Everyone is now in the car, I start the car and realize I haven't opened the garage door yet. (I wonder sometimes if there is a subliminal message in that). I quickly open the garage door, take a deep breath (then think that wasn't smart) and put the car in gear. I back out and the backup alarm goes off. I stop. Get out of the car, I remove the tricycle from the middle of the driveway that no one knows how it got there. I get back in the car, another deep breath and off we go. 30 minutes later we arrive at the destination,  it has been a pretty quiet ride and except for being told to Please!Stop Singing! there has not been any incident. A Miracle really.

The cake has been delivered to the first party and the lady that is to meet me has arrived, we have made the exchange and her cake is now on it's second journey to it's final destination. (Not my worry anymore!)

All in All, so far is has been a good day.

Now I will make my kids stay for a portion of the baby shower and when they can take it no more, I will sneak out the back door of the shower and take them to Cheeky Monkey's (an indoor playland)  to play out the rest of the afternoon.

I do tease about them being naughty but in the end they are very good when I have things to do and drag them all over the countryside with me.

This is the birthday cake, it was an "Over the Hill" party, everything I looked at online while researching ideas all seemed a little creepy or tacky. The lady the party was for is far too lovely for that so I thought I would make a hill, with a boulder on top of it and tie a rope to it. Then I put a knot at the other end and draped it over the edge of the hill. I liked the way it turned out.


This next one is the baby shower cake. I didn't research this one online at all. I woke up in the middle of the night with this one on my mind. I dreamed it would look exactly like this. Everything was edible except the cradle. I think the cradle would be awesome in chocolate. I need to think on that design a little longer.
Anyways, this was the end result this time. And I would like to note that "Dreams Do Come True"
 (Sorry, I spent a lot of days at Disney World, not that long ago.)



No comments: